Deodorants and Antiperspirants

 

Deodorants and Antiperspirants

What is in it: Product may contain aluminum salts. Sticks, sprays and liquids may also contain ethanol (alcohol).  

Is it toxic?
Low order of toxicity, particularly given the amount that would be ingested.

Health Effects:

Eyes:
May cause irritation but serious injury is unlikely.
Skin: May cause skin irritation
Ingestion: May cause irritation to mouth and throat.  Nausea and vomiting may be seen with large ingestion.  Waxy products (sticks) may cause diarrhea.

What to do:
Eyes: Rinse eyes with lukewarm water with one of the following methods:

  • Pour a gentle stream of water from a jug or clean teapot over the eye from the inside corner by the nose, across the eye, flowing out towards the ear.
  • Submerge eye in a container (bowl, sink) of lukewarm water. Have patient open and close eye.
  • Eye may be irrigated in the shower if this can be accomplished without delay.
  • Young children may be wrapped like a mummy in a towel with arms at side and held over sink or tub or laid on counter during flushing.

Skin: Wash skin thoroughly with warm water and soap.
Ingestion: Rinse out mouth and drink a small glass of water or milk.

Do not induce vomiting.  If symptoms persist after the above first aid measures contact the Poison Control Centre.


How can I prevent exposure? Return to safe storage immediately after use. Never leave children alone with household products.
 
Need more Information:
Call the Poison Control Centre.

© 2010 BC Drug and Poison Information Centre