Rhododendrons and Azaleas

 

Rhododendron and Azaleas (Ericaceae family): The Rhododendron is a plant which grows as a shrub or tree. It may be evergreen or deciduous. It is best know for its many clusters of large flowers.

 

Is is toxic? Nectar, flowers, fruit, twigs and stems contain grayanotoxins which can cause a burning sensation to the mouth, tongue and throat if swallowed.

 

Health Effects:

Skin: Possible mild irritation in sensitive people.

Ingestion: Small ingestions may cause a burning sensation to mouth, tongue, lips and throat, It may also cause stomach upset. Large ingestions may cause drowsiness and changes to blood pressure and heart rate.

 

What to do:

Skin: Wash skin with soap and water, and rinse thoroughly

Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. Rinse out mouth and drink a glass of water or milk. Popsicles work well also. Contact the Poison Control Centre.

 

Need more information: Call the Poison Control Centre.

 

© 2010 BC Drug and Poison Information Centre

Posted Updated
2010-02-23 12:54 2010-02-23 13:10